HELP: colormap problem

I recently installed 1.3.1 (I am very new to Linux) and since the install
(apparently succesful), the only color on my X windows is in the Afterstep
icons and lettering in TkDesk; all else is greyscale. When I shutdown, I
get a string of messages of the form:

                              cannot allocate colormap for [various colors}

What is going on, and how do I get color? Many thanks for any help.

Albert Hurd