Debian vs. Caldera

Here is my opinion on the different dist. of Linux that I have used over
the years.

Caldera Standard:

Great if you never need technical support, modifiy your system, or want
any documentation that is acurate.  Since I do not know of anyone that
can say that, I would not recomend it.

Red Hat:

Good distrubution.  Installs easy, has good documentation, is really
useable from the first reboot.  It's update and packaging system is not
very good.  I have had a lot of trouble upgrading the system from
version to version.  Other then that, it works well.

Slackware:

Installs well, has very good doc's, and works well from the first
reboot.  It has no upgrade capability, and is difficult to get X to work
just the way you want it.

Debian:

Installs well, has good doc's, and is very easy to modify.  The upgrade
system works very well with the utilities available.  I have upgraded
through mager versions with no problems.  The only problem is when you
get to the first reboot you hav quite a bit of configuration to do to
get a really usable system.  The upside of that is you have learned a
lot from the configuration and will have no trouble in the future
modifications.

I hope this helps, I have been lucky in the fact that I have had the
opertunity to run different dist. side by side for quite a while.  That
gave me a chance to compare them well.  Of course, this is only my
opinion.

Brian Schramm