Re: Telneting

Probably a problem with the tcp wrappers and the dns entries for your
win95 box.  By default on a Debian system, the wrappers look up the
hostname of incoming connections from the IP address, the lookup the
hostname to check that it matches the original IP (not much of a security
measure really). If they don't match it drops the connection. Either have
your DNS admin fix it, or change the /etc/hosts.allow file to let your
win95 box in with less scrutiny.

Thomas.

On Thu, 1 Jan 1998, Steve Koop wrote:

> From: Steve Koop <skoop@dowco.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Thu, 01 Jan 1998 14:10:30 -0800
> Subject: Telneting
>
> Hi there
>

> I have been trying to telnet from win 95 system to a linux system, but no luck.
>

> In win 95 I've started the telnet program and clicked connect and then typed in the IP address for the linux system, but I receive a error msg saying Connection to host lost.
>

> Any suggestions on this
>

> Thanks
>

> Steve Koop: mailto:skoop@dowco.com
>

> --

--(fortune.sig)--
Remember, UNIX spelled backwards is XINU.
		-- Mt.