bash/sh scripting tutorial?

Hi everyone, I'm starting to find a lot of things that could be made
easier on my system if I could write better scripts.  Are there any
tutorials available?  I know about the O'Reilly bash book but just
need something to get started and explain to me what the heck stuff
like 'if [ -x /bin/blah ]' means.  I have gathered that it checks for
the existance of a command before trying to execute it but would like
to be certain.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Gary Singleton