modem problems

Ok, got my new debian system up and running at work (yahoo!!), now i'm
trying to do the same at home. Everything seems to have installed
properly, but i can't get my modem to respond. I tried a cat > /dev/
ttyS1 atdt## to see if i could get a response, and nothing. I'm sure
that the modem is on comm2, and that it works, because my wife is able to
connect to our ISP on the windows side of the machine (I'm not doing a
very good job of convincing her that she should abandon the dark
side :)). Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Brent