netscape, locale C

I'm having a lot of trouble installing netscape on a 2.0.34 kernel of
Debian "slink" Linux.  I keeping the message

netscape: locale `C' not supported.
	Perhaps $XNLSPATH env var is not set correctly?
Bus error.

The env var XNLSPATH is set, and points to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/nls

Any hints on how to get netscape working would be welcome.

I've tried netscape 4.5, and both supported and unsuppoprted version of
netscape 4.08, with essentially the same result (from ftp.netscape.com)

--
Rick Venable                  =====\     |=|    "Eschew Obfuscation"
FDA/CBER Biophysics Lab       |____/     |=|