Re: ip-up & ip-down

>May I ask what dynipclient does? I'm setting up a tiny network at home and
>am going to network a Linux box (running slink) with a Windows 95 machine
>(my son's) and I get a dynamic IP address from my ISP.  I use a PPP
>connection.

head over to www.dynip.com, they give a better explaination than I can...
but in a nutshell, for $24 a year US, they will resolve
"yourname.dynip.com" whenever your server says hello to their dns server,
via the dynip client.  Its probably the cheeziest way of getting your box
on the internet with a "permanent" address (xephic.dynip.com in my case)
even if your IP address changes via DHCP from your ISP.

The beauty of their particular client, is when your box is NOT on the web,
their DNS server will resolve <yourname.dynip.com> to a page on their
server, saying your server is temporarily unavailable.  This is a nice way
of handling this, which is why I was more than happy to pay the minimal
annual fee.  Other services, even if they were free, simply leave your last
IP address as yours, even if your neighbor, who has the same ISP, manages
to get that address when you shut your PC down.

Hope that helped. I've been using them for almost 2 years, and have been
very satisfied.  They don't respond to email very fast unfortunately, but
their software for linux, NT and Win95 is very simple to install.

My only complaint with them is they don't take American Express, just MC
and Visa.

Frederic Breitwieser
Bridgeport, CT 06606

Homebrew Automotive Website:
http://www.xephic.dynip.com/

1993 Supercharged Lincoln Continental
1989 HMMWV
1973 Lincoln Continental (460cid)
1975 Dodge D200 3/4 ton Club Cab
2000 Buick-Powered Mid-Engined Sports Car

-