Re: NIS and /etc/hosts

In article <cistron.E0zud4N-0000S1-00@fdr.annapolis.formasic.com>,
Simon Read  <s.read@iee.org> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>I get the most bizarre problem with NIS.
>
>If I put "ypserver 192.168.1.2" in /etc/yp.conf everything works just
>fine.  If I put "ypserver mynishost" in there, I get lots of
>"YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound" errors.

Sounds like you are using NIS to do name resolving.

>mynishost is definitely, explicitly in /etc/hosts as 192.168.1.2.
>What could I be doing wrong?  I'm keen to trace my problem or cause a
>bug to be fixed, whichever comes first.

Check out /etc/nsswitch.conf and make sure that you arent't using NIS
for name lookups. Should look like this:

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files dns

Also some programs might still use /etc/host.conf. That file should
look like this:

order hosts,bind
multi on

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?