Re: X help

Kent West wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 WuArMy490@aol.com wrote:
>
> > ok I recently installed Debian on my computer and when I set up X I set the
> > resolution and everything right in xf86config and I did the xf86setup also
> >
> > But then I do startx and my resolution is way to big for my screen
> > I tried changing the resolution about 10 times then I finally gave up and
> > asked you guys
> >

> I've noticed that I have better luck if I answer "no" when XF86Setup asks
> if I want to use my existing XF86Config file for defaults. You might try
> that (make a backup of /etc/X11/XF86Config first).

	Try using xf86config, instead of XF86Setup, it might help.  Also, tell us the
details of XF86Config file and what video card you are using.  In my
XF86Config, I have an entry like this (in the Screen section):

    Subsection "Display"
        Depth     16
        Modes     "1600x1200" "320x240" "400x300" "640x480" "800x600"
"1024x768" "1152x864" "1280x1024" <-- these go on the above line
        ViewPort  1600 1200
    EndSubsection

Now if you don't want to use your monitor as a viewport on a larger, virtual
screen, make sure the ViewPort line is the same as the first entry on the
Modes line.  The first resolution on the Modes line is what X tries to start
in.  Note:  not every video card will support all the modes lines above.  You
will probably have to edit the mode lines (prior to the Screen section) after
selecting a video card in xf86config.

--
Ed C.