Re: Why?!

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998 tko@westgac3.dragon.com wrote:
> You say that you'd like to see more games (I assume in the caliber of Quake)
> on Linux and that you are considering a career in game programming. I ask why
> not Linux? Consider Quake - it's source is still hidden, but the binaries are
> distributed. No reason that you couldn't develop games using Linux as the base
> platform and port to Win95. I'd guess that the Win95 version would be much
> more stable/bug-free than using MS development tools (considering the
> stability of Linux).

Hmm... that's a good point. I suppose it depends on whether I can be
bothered to spend a while porting - if those people working on the
various PenguinPlay type projects get a decent API package like DirectX
available then I'll be back :) I do have LinQuake installed, but what
about Sin and Half Life and Total Annhiliation and Privateer 2 and ....

I think I'll remove Linux and use just Windows on my home computer until
Linux gets the games support it needs to attract more people like me. I
will still be using Linux on my server at school - I just think that if
you're interested in playing games Linux is not yet the OS for you. I
think what I'll miss the most is the Gimp :(

Thanks for all your help everyone...

--
Charles