Re: Frontpage for Apache

Oliver Thuns writes:
> Or are there good alternatives to FP for my customers (I don't know FP
> and I don't need it).

Actually, you don't need FP Extensions to use FrontPage; I'm quite
happily using FrontPage for my day-job (my boss at the time _insisted_
that I use a tool of some kind, and I've gotten hooked since).

The two major problems this leaves the user with are 1) FrontPage
can't upload the finished pages to the Apache server (I solve this by
simply FTPing the files to my Apache server), and 2) some of FrontPage's
more whiz-bang page generation features like... um... well, I know
there are page generation features that don't work without the
extensions, but I sure as heck never use them and haven't missed them
in 2 years of use.

As for other products, I'm sure there are lots (at home, on my Mac, I
use GoLive Cyberstudio because the Mac MS FP *sucks*).  As much as I
hate pro-ing MS, FrontPage on Windows is a very good product, even
without having the use of the extensions.  The site management
features are excellent, and the WYSIWYG HTML Editor is quite usable
and (since the 98 release) respects my HTML code changes.

If anybody has more specific FP/Apache usage questions, I'd be happy
to field them.

-packy

Packy Anderson                Dardan Web Assoc.                 518/266-1226
CEO/Webmaster                 PO Box 94                       www.dardan.com
packy@Dardan.com              Troy, NY 12181-0094
                                                                         O-
           Localized advertising solutions for a World-Wide Web.