Re: Beginning C

On 21 Dec 1998, Pierfrancesco Caci wrote:

> "D'jinnie" <jinn@irony.org> writes:
>

> > I can't quite understand why the Kernighan/Ritchie book would be
> > recommended to a total beginner, but I liked Practical C programming from
>
> I found it quite easy, when I read it. Also the exercises are good.
> I had a little experience with basic and fortran at the time.
>
> Pf

I agree with you. If you start at the first page and go one page at a time
through the book, it introduces each concept one at a time and gives
examples of each. You are taken from simple "Hello World!" to much more
advanced concepts in digestable (at least for me) chunks.

After the reader finishes with that book, they will be familliar with the
syntax of C and know how things are done.  They are then ready for a book
on structure and style to build on the fundamentals that K&R provide.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!