Re: Adding a user... but they can't use X

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, George Bonser wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Dec 1998,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
>
> > But when I try to fire off any programs from the taskbar or an icon,
> > they lock up. I tried opening an rxvt and it brings up a window and
> > then says 'You don't have permission to run the X server'.
>
> First of all, which version of Debian are you using?

 A 1.2 upgraded to 1.3 upgraded to 2.0.

> Check her home directory and make sure all the the "dot" files got
> copied over from /etc/skel.

 It seems right. Moreover, I've confirmed that everything is owned by her.
(I had to reboot anyway, to let her use Windows temporarily, but when I
booted back to Linux the problem persisted.)

> Also, edit /etc/X11/Xserver and make sure that the second line of the file
> says either Console or Anybody, your call (but I hesitate to use Anybody).

 It already says 'Console', and I've logged her into the first VC, which
sure seems to be the console. I haven't tried 'Anybody' yet but I will if
I have to.

 Just on the off chance, I copied the .Xauthority file from my account's
home directory and put it in hers, and chowned it to her. Still no go.

 This is really getting annoying. Thanks for the suggestions so far...
anyone got any more? :-<

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles       (248) 377-7735       ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "An apple every eight hours keeps three doctors away." - B. Kliban