Unidentified subject!

Hello I am currently using the slink version, not by choice I just couldn't find the stable version in any ftp site
I have uninstalled this version about 8 times, I can never get root login even though im using the correct
password also when it asks for my ppp info to connect to the internet after I am done it will get a dail tone but
 it will
not dail. Im tottaly at lost none of the  of the ftp directorys match your navigation directions in your help
topics so I am having a hard time installing things I would like to install by ftp because this is my only option
because I do not have a CD rom ,I would like to add x-windows and netscape .Thanks JAson