Re: Running two mgetty's on same line

Tim Thomson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have mgetty running on my modem from inittab and it answers after 10
> rings, but I've set up xringd to dialup the internet and then run mgetty.
> The second one complains about the first, and won't run.
>
> I would take the mgetty out of the inittab, but then when the line is used
> for ppp, it isn't logged in utmp, and I like this, because "sac dialout"
> gives the total time for the month. Is there any other way to get such a
> simple time log for dialup?
>
> Any other suggestions as to how I can get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim.

Hi Tim,

I think I understand what you mean.  I set up mgetty and diald is now showing
up in 'last'.
Havent' tried yet, but maybe it is possible to set mgetty to debug 9 and make
up a script simulating xringd.  I might be totally of the mark, but with a
little timing that program/script could check for RING's in the logfile.
Providing mgetty sends the RING's to the logfile of course.
If that works, you don't have to run xringd and 'sac dialout' would work.

John.