Postgres and php3 don't like each other

Hi all,
I am playing around with Postgresql and php3 and I cannot make a database
connection this way. The most simple script fails:

<?php
$database = pg_Connect ("", "", "", "", "template");
?>

gives this:
Warning: Unable to connect to PostgresSQL server: FATAL
1: SetUserId: user "www-data" is not in "pg_shadow" in
/home/freak/public_html/data.php3 on line 2

It is a known and nasty upstream bug that postgres does not like special
chars in user names. A workaround for my perl-CGI-scripts was to make the
connection as a special DB user.

How can I do this with php3? How can I connect to postgresql with php3 as
another user than "www-data" who is not allowed to connect?
Or are there some other workarounds?
Thank you in advance,
--
                                                     __    __