Re: rotating log files

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Thomas Adams wrote:

> Speaking of anacron: I used one of the preset configuration schemes
> (Scientific Workstation) on one hamm machine and noticed that it has
> both cron and anacron running. Isn't this kind of pointless?

Not at all.  Anacron runs when you boot up to see if there is anything you
need to run, and will take the appropriate action at that point.  Then,
when you cron time hits, it updates the time (for anacron) and runs your
scripts again.  This way, if my system is left off for a week, everything
gets back on schedule and it also works perfectly fine if I leave it on
for a few years.  Cron has other uses too, I like hourly chimes myself.

HTH,
Brandon