Re: X help

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998 WuArMy490@aol.com wrote:

> When I install X I configure it right and then it goes into X and the
> resolution is way to big for my monitor

What you mean?Do you mean that when you move a mouse to the edge of a
screen (left/bottom), you shift to another screen? It's called 'virtual
desktop', it's perfectly normal

> Is there a way I can change the resolution so X can fit my screen

To answer this: If you know at what resolution you are right now, run
xf86config and , after you choose all the parameters of video/monitor, you
will be given a choice of modes.
Just look up the mode you are in, say, you use 1028x764 at 8dpp
, but you want to use 800x600 at 8dpp. Then hit 1 ( change modes for the
8dpp). There you can make up your own orde of modes.
SO you put 800x600 first.

For example: You have 640x480, 800x600, 1024x764  at 8dpp
ANd 1024x764 is too bad for you. Hit 1, and
choose 800x600, and then 640x480. When you come back, you will have
800x640, 640x480  at 8dpp
Therefor, when xserver searches for the first valid mode, your 1024x764
will not be used, since it's not in the list. And 800x640 will be used
instead.

> Thanks

No problem.

Andrew

Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |