Re: WordPerfect: a Joke?

On Sat, 19 Dec 1998, Patrik Nordebo wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 18, 1998 at 10:39:21AM +0100, Riccardo Tommasini wrote:
> >

> > I installed and tried WordPerfect. After this bothersome work
> > I discovered that, even though Corel said that this version is
> > "fully functional", equations and graphics are enabled only in
> > commercial versions of the software!!!!!!!
> > Is this a Joke????
> The Personal Edition includes only WordPerfect, not other
> programs. And there probably arent't that many people who need the
> equation editor that are allowed to use the Personal Edition, since
> IIRC the license doesn't allow it to be used for education.
> You can always use LaTeX or LyX instead. Though that might be a lot of
> work if you're migrating from Word or something.

Actually, it's the downloadable version which is somewhat crippled here.
The Personel Edition ($69.95 US) apparently has the additional
capabilities and is "not limited to personal use" (it won't be available
until next month). The Server Edition  ($495 US) has some additional
features (not completely described), including a non-GUI interface.

See http://linux.corel.com/linux8/highlights.htm for some details on the
differences between the various versions.

Bob

----