Re: lpr printing difficulties

In article <[🔎] 000901be2924$cddfa4a0$1f090a0a@ambrosia.greenville.edu> you write:
>Having trouble printing using lpr.  I assume I'm doing this right.  I type
>"lpr -Pprintername FILENAME" and I get a cover page, a page DESCRIBING the
>desired file, and then a blank sheet.  When I print from Netscape, it either
>prints hundreds of blank pages, or hundreds of pages with jumbled text.
>Here's my printcap entry:
>
>kingsnake|laserjet 4 in computer room
>	:lp=:\
>	:rm=kingsnake
>	:rp=raw
>	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/kingsnake
>	:mx#0
>	:sh
>
>I've also tried :rp=text, with same results.  Any suggestions?
>3.	Is there anything special you need to do to get netscape to print
>specific frames?
>
>Thanks

When using Netscape, it sounds like you might be trying to print postscript
on a non-portscript printer.

Try installing magicfilter, it will automatically customize your
printcap file for you so that the ghostscript interpretor is automatically
invoked. Ghostscript will translate the postscript code into native laserjet 4
code.

I am not sure of your problem when invoking "lpr" directly, but it
might be that the text file needs to be in MS-DOS format (ie each
line ends in <LF><CR>, not just <LF>). If this is the case, magicfilter
will also take care of this.