Netscape instability (hangs, crashes); is netscape4-4.0_12 installer compatible with 4.05?

AAGGHHH!!

How you get Netscape to work reliably on a hamm-based Debian system?

Things were fairly stable for me a while ago.  (I think that was with
Netscape 4.05.)

I tried upgrading to Netscape 4.07 and now to Netscape 4.08 (libc versions,
I think).  Netscape would frequently hang.

I tried going back to 4.05, but now, when I display a web page containing
an applet, it complains that some Java classes are not signed and hangs (it
takes a kill -9 to get rid of it).

(This is all using the Debian installer for Netscape.)

Is the current installer in hamm (netscape4_4.0-12.deb) compatible with
Netscape 4.05?

(I'm wondering if when I originally installed 4.05 it was with an earlier
version of the installer.)

Is any 4.x version of Netscape reasonably stable (as stable 3.0x was)?

I tried installing 4.5 using the packages from slink(?), but they depend
on the slink version of libc6 and who knows what else, which I don't want to
mess with before slink is deemed stable.

Any ideas?

Daniel