Re: How to find out what my modem connection speed is?

>I finally worked out how to pon to specific providers using
> pon <provider name>
>
>How do I find out what my connection speed is?

Well, for *starters*, you need to make sure that your modem is reporting the
DCE speed (the speed it's talking to the other modem at) and not the DTE
speed (the speed it's talking to your computer at). Some modems only do the
DCE speed, while others have an AT command that you can use to switch.

If the modem returns the DTE speed, it will always say "CONNECT 115200" or
whatever...  even if you have a 14.4k modem... which is amusing... the first
few times, anyway.

>I had deleted /var/log/ppp.log earlier assuming that it will be recreated
by
>what ever program but that didn't happen.  Will creating a blank file do
the
>trick.

If the pppd is running as a user that does not have privledges to write to
/var/log, then you'll need to create an empty ppp.log file that they do have
permissions to write to.

Also, you probably need to put the "debug" directive in your options file.

Even then, it might not work. On a couple of my systems, nothing ever seems
to get written to the ppp.log file. They get rotated every now and then, but
pppd never uses them. The logs end up going into syslog.

- Joe