RE: Violence: Lethal StarOffice, terminal Apache, broken partiti

On 17-Dec-98, Peter \(Troff\) Petroff took time to write :

> to check error logs and suprise, it said that ServerName wasn't set. But the
> thing was, Apache WORKED for a few days before it failed to start up and I
> made NO repeat NO changes to ANY Apache configs. When I set ServerName, it
> DID start working again. But what the heck caused it to fail in the first
> place?

do you mean for example it works, you reboot your computer, and then it
doesn't work anymore ?
it can be a problem with your dns settings.
are you using a dns on your network (btw are you on a network, or only
occasionnaly with ppp, or ...), or do you have a dns on the same box than
Apache ?

If Apache upon booting doesn't find the information in the DNS it needs, then
it will dye.
But if you relaunch it after that, it may work.

so you'll have to give a little more info, if you're attempting to configure
apache for a computer not connected to a network, or a real apache, and then
what network connection do you have.

what does apache -S tell ?
is it like :
vagabond:~# apache -S
httpd: cannot determine local host name.
Use ServerName to set it manually.

Patrick

Patrick M.   pat@patoche.org    http://www.patoche.org/
Sysadmin of patoche.org, globenet.org, bde.espci.fr