Re: Recommendations for Office...

Not sure about spreadsheets (there are several that are fine on
the computational end, but nothing has the scriptability, embedding
capabilities, and feature richness of Excel).  Look at www.gnome.org
for gnumeric; it's still pre-1.0 and a toy compared to Excel but Gnome
moves _very_ rapidly and Miguel de Icaza, its author, is the head Gnome
software stud:

http://www.gnome.org/gnumeric/

For a word processor, check out the Linux version of Corel's WordPerfect.
It becomes available from www.download.com tomorrow (December 17th)
and is free for personal use and very reasonably priced for business.
Haven't read any reviews of it yet, but I have heard it's a lot smaller
than StarOffice (it would be hard to get much bigger).

miket