Re: Partition confusion

Jeff Miller's question (below) was answered by George Kapetanios: After making
the partition with cfdisk, you have to run mkfs to make an ext2 filesystem on
it.  Without this, I'm surprised you were able to write anything at all to the
partition.

However, Kent West <kent.west@infotech.acu.edu> writes:

KW> Let me preface this by saying I don't know what I'm talking about, but I
KW> think I choose "Primary" instead of "Logical" when partitioning a drive.
KW> I'm not real sure what each of these means, but I'm under the impression
KW> that Logical is somehow dependent on the primary partition.

This is not an issue.  In fact, the only difference between primary and
logical partitions is where on the disk the partition information is stored.
It has no affect on how you use the partition.

Here's a more detailed description of the difference: The information for a
PRIMARY partition is stored in the "partition table" at the beginning of the
physical disk.  But there is only enough room in the partition table to
describe 4 partitions.  To get more than 4 partitions on a disk, you have to
make one (or more) of the 4 into an EXTENDED partition, which contains within
it some LOGICAL partitions.  The partition data for the logical partitions is
stored in another partition table, which resides at the start of the extended
partition.

--
David Zelinsky
dsz@alumni.caltech.edu