Re: Graphics Card: S3 3D - compatible?

   Hi,
   I'm looking at buying a new PC sometime soon - I've just seen a *very*
   good looking deal for a 350MHz Pentium II system. As usual, my main
   compatibility worries are with video and sound cards.

   The video card is described by the supplier as an AGP S3 3D card, with a
   365 chipset. I've looked through the hardware compatibility HOWTO and
   the XFree86 website, and I can't see mention of this card or chipset
   specifically.

well, i believe it is not supported even in Xfree 3.3.3 released late November.
I read somewhere that developers got info too late to be included in
xf3.3.3. Support is promised to arrive in future Xfree release (4.0 ?)

   Can anybody confirm that this card will work OK on Debian
   (basically Hamm at the moment...) I'll want to use X, and possibly
   OpenGL (Mesa). Probably not graphics intensive stuff generally, but I'd
   like to look at getting Quake and some other games running (it's not the
   end of the world if I fail, but I'd have to run them in DOS/Win95, so
   maybe it's bad enough... :-)

   Actually, does anybody know what this card is like, in general - is it
   3D accelerated or not, do I need to check things like how much memory it
   has, will it run Quake II at mega-accelerated speeds, etc etc? If it's
   not up to much, does anybody have any suggestions as to a good card to
   get? I've been thinking of one of the ATI 3DXpert@Work cards - are they
   a good bet?

the only card with 3D acceleration supported are Voodoo and
Voodoo2, plus there is also alpha quality driver for
Permedia2 cards. Voodoo banshee is not supported nut
some work is under way

   The sound card is described as a SoundBlaster 16 Compatible, made by
   SoundPro. Again, will this be supported, and/or is it a good card? The
   only real use I have for sound is likely to be for games (both under
   Linux and Windows), so it's not a disaster if it's low spec, but I'd
   like something reasonable...

don't know about sound

OK