Re: New/old kernel devices disappearing?

> Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:16:04 +0100 (CET), pat@patoche.org wrote:
> > >that can be fixing with lilo if you put it its configuration file
> > >append="mem=128Mo"
> > No French spoken here. :-)
> > Make that
> >   append="mem=128M"
>
> Thanks, guys, but:
> a) Not using LILO
> b) I found the reference that says that is an unadvised procedure when I was
> first reading about the problem:
>
> 	http://www.debian.org/fom/147.html

This may be true, I never heard of it before.  I do know that this
`append=' approach has been working OK on several machines for me.  I
think it also has been the only way to do it for a long time.

> Any suggestions why a kernel recompile would just lose everything, when I use
> 'make xconfig'?

If I recall correctly, you were talking about two different kernel
versions.  The kernel configuration is in
/usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.xx/.config if you installed the debian
kernel-source packages.  If you first configured kernel 2.0.35, you
can transfer the configuration to 2.0.36 if you tell the `make xconfig'
program to read the configuration from ../kernel-source-2.0.35.  If you
don't, you will get the default settings for the 2.0.36 kernel.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032