Re: switch off Debian

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Michael Wahl wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> After all I finally installed DEBIAN.
> And, what else, I have a question:
> When I successfully logout, a knew login appears. Know I switch off the
> computer. When I switch it on again, there is a check for some stuff.
> Is this right? Or have I not correctly finished it?
>

> Thanks
>
> Michael, Trier, Germany

No, you need to do a
  shutdown -r now
and then wait until the machine starts to reboot before powering it off.

Or you can press Ctrl-Alt-Delete to accomplish the same thing (in Debian;
not all Linux/UNIX variants do this).

This shuts down the machine properly. It's similar to shutting down
Windows95 instead of just killing the power switch.

There are other "shutdown" options as well; but this will satisfy your
needs for today.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu