Can't get to a shell prompt - kicks me out after login

I have a hamm system here that I can log into, but it kicks me back to
the login prompt after it displays the default Debian MOTD, and the "No
mail" message. It does the same for every user, including root, even in
single-user. I've wiped the drive and reinstalled Debian twice from a
hamm CD and the current disks, and I still can't login. The system was
originally an unstable system, upgraded a week or so ago, but this just
started two days ago. Any clues?