Flavours of rebooting (was 3C509 acting strangely on Win95/Debian ...)

Quoting Bruce Perens (bruce@pixar.com):
> From: kevin havener <havenerk@thunder.safb.af.mil>
> > When rebooting into W95 from Linux, I have to power cycle the machine to
> > get it to recognize my 3C509 ethernet card.
>
> Try adding "reboot=h" to the boot command line. If that works, edit your
> lilo config to put it in there permanently. The reboot options are:
>
> 	w:	warm - no power-on self-test.
> 	c:	cold - performs POST.
> 	b:	bios - reboot by jumping through the BIOS.
> 	h:	hard - reset the CPU to reboot.
>
> Please get back to us and tell us if that works.

I think this may be the answer to my problem but I don't know how to
apply it.

My boxes that are Intel TC (Tucson) mobo-based flick the power light off
when they reboot from linux to W95. Unfortunately this has the side-effect
of making an ISA motor-drive card reset, and it loses its knowledge of
the motor positions.

I therefore want as warm a reboot as possible. Where do I put reboot=w ?
man reboot/shutdown/inittab etc. have lots of -r style-of-syntax switches
but I can't see anything like reboot=X.

Other background:

>From power-on, the machine boots directly into W95.
For linux, I shutdown W95 to an MSDOS prompt and run loadlin.
To revert to W95, I Ctrl-Alt-Del which does (/etc/inittab)
    ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

Cheers,