Installing Debian from a harddisk..

Hi all,
	Today I helped my friend to install debian 2.0(hamm) on an IBM
Thinkpad 760c.

	But when I ran dselect, I got a lot of dependency errors.
We were installing from the windoze C drive.

	I mounted C drive as follows: mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt

	After playing around for 5 hours... still couldn't figure it out.
So I used dpkg to install individual packages.. and that didn't work
either. For example, when I install xbase, it asked me whether I want to
configure XF86Setup, and then this question is asked repeatly forever...

	Finally, we tried to copy this package to /root and installed from
there, then everything went smoothly....

	So, can we install debian from a harddisk having FAT filesystem??

	Thx.

Regards,

shao.