Re: Why sudo does it ?

>> I'm guessing that reboot != shutdown -r "now".  Try running:
>> sudo shutdown -r "now"

Uh..... no. Last time I checked, it wasn't even close.

The story I've always heard is that you shouldn't run halt or reboot
yourself. Those are run by "shutdown" as the last thing it does. "shutdown"
unmounts all of the filesystems, flushes buffers, kills daemons, etc. etc..
and THEN either calls reboot or halt. If you just call "halt" yourself,
you're probably going to get some filesystem curruption.

- Joe