Re: Debian installation hangs

Hi Mark,

I have some good news, and I have some bad news.

THe good news first.  I do have a boot disk for you.  (details below)

THe bad news is that since I'm removing scsi support (this was reported
to be the problem, see
  http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-user-9810/msg03176.html
) and since I only have scsi drives, there's no way for me to confirm
that it works.  I have tested it, and up to the point where it wants to
see an ide drive, it works.  What happens after that..  One area in
which I'm less than certain is the ramdisk parameters (docs have
different approaches).  If you have any problems, please write down
what the messages are and send them to me and/or the list and I'll see
if I can fix it.

So, I guess you can call this a beta release:

  http://weber.u.washington.edu/~dstern/resc1440_b1.bin

Instructions
------------
1.)  Use the regular dd command for bootdisks:
        dd if=resc1440_b1.bin of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 conv=sync ; sync

With any luck, you should be able to substitute this for the regular
boot disk and you'll be up and running.  No guarantees, and all that
jazz. :)

If I left anything out that you need (details below), also let me know.

Details of Mark's Basic Boot Disk (no scsi, no md,..)
kernel-source-2.0.34-4
gcc 2.7.2.3-4.8

Staticly linked kernel options ("Y"es)
--------------------------------------
CONFIG_MODULES, CONFIG_NET, CONFIG_PCI,
CONFIG_SYSVIPC, CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT, CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF,
CONFIG_KERNEL_ELF,
CONFIG_M386, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD,
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RZ1000, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_TRITON,
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM, CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD,
CONFIG_INET, CONFIG_IP_NOSR, CONFIG_SKB_LARGE, CONFIG_NETDEVICES,
CONFIG_MINIX_FS, CONFIG_EXT2_FS, CONFIG_NLS, CONFIG_FAT_FS,
CONFIG_MSDOS_FS, CONFIG_PROC_FS, CONFIG_MOUSE,

Dynamically linked kernel options ("M"odules)
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD, CONFIG_DUMMY,
CONFIG_PPP, CONFIG_ISO9660_FS, CONFIG_VFAT_FS, CONFIG_NLS_CODEPAGE_437,
CONFIG_SERIAL, CONFIG_ATIXL_BUSMOUSE, CONFIG_BUSMOUSE,
CONFIG_MS_BUSMOUSE,
CONFIG_PSMOUSE

Modifications to Makefile
-------------------------
ROOT_DEV = /dev/fd0
RAMDISK = -DRAMDISK=1440

Miscellaneous
  $ ls -l /usr/src/kernel-source-2.0.34/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
  -rw-r--r--   1 root     root       321031 Dec 14 13:09 bzImage
rm -f /floppy/linux
cp bzImage /floppy
mv /floppy/bzImage /floppy/linux

David