Questions...

Two of them actually:

1    I just compiled and installed the new 2.0.35-3 kernel, from and to
hamm (needed the PARIDE support).  Although PARIDE works just fine now,
I have lost all passwords.  When I login, all I have to do is type any
valid username, hit enter, and I immediately have full superuser access
to the system.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what I did, how not to
do it again and how to fix it now that I broke it?

2    Is there any way to see the error messages that currently display
behind the initial setup screens?

I was playing with the new slink disks on a test machine and when I got
to the base install, it errored out, I suspect being unable to create
one of it's files.  The only piece of the error I can see says:
"/localtime: No S".  /etc/localtime looks to be in the right place, so I
can't figure it out.

- BOHICA