Re: Remote printing

At 02:07 PM 12/14/1998 +0000, mark.lake@ucl.ac.uk wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'd like to print directly to a networked laser printer that has its
>own IP address.
>
>I can't find anything in the usual documentation to suggest:
>
>1) whether this is possible or desirable,

Yep, it's possible. Desirable? Depends. If you're the only one printing to
it, sure. If others are printing to it also, it's probably better to point
everyone to one queue instead of having multiple queues serving the same
printer. Otherwise, two people printing at the same time will force their
respective queues to fight for supremacy.

>2) how to go about it?

I was afraid you were going to ask that. Hopefully someone else on the list
will be a better source of info, but here's my /etc/printcap entry:

lp| rlp|Remote printer entry
         :lp=/dev/null:\
         :rm=150.252.128.29:\
         :rp=nimrod_2:\
         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/remote:\
         :mx#0:\
         :sh:\
         :if=/etc/magicfilter/ljet4m-filter:

I'm no expert, and I'm not even sure this works since I never print from
this box (my other box that I used regularly had to be temporarily
converted to an ACK!!! NT box, so I can't look up my printcap on that
machine that I know worked). Basically everything's the same except you add
the "rm=ip.address.of.remote.printer" line and the
"rp=name_of_remote_printer" line. Also, filters are not run for remote
printers, IIRC, so my filter line is essentially ignored. In order to run a
filter for a remote printer, you have to use a bounce queue, which means
addding a "bq=printcap_entry_that_runs_the_filter" line. You can read about
it I think in man printcap, but don't quote me on it.