Re: moving the root partition (esp. /dev)

ray@sonictech.net hat gesagt: // ray@sonictech.net wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 13, 1998 at 12:39:36AM -0500, John Paul Lorenti wrote:
> > I'm trying to move all the files in my root partition to a different
> > disk parition. I had no problems using cp -ar to do this with the /usr
> > tree, but /dev is giving me problems. I can't seem to copy the devices
> > in /dev. I get messages like "cp: /dev/sdh3: Operation not supported by
> > device". MAKEDEV doesn't seem to create all the devices, or set the
> > proper file ownerships. Is there anyway to do this other than
> > re-creating the hundreds of them by hand?
>
> When I make boot/root disks I use:
>
> cp -dpR /dev /mnt

... which is the same as cp -a:

man cp:
       -a, --archive
              Preserve  as  much as possible of the structure and
              attributes of the original files in the copy.   The
              same as -dpR.

Copying / with cp works best with cp -ax, IMHO.
--
                                                     __    __
 Frank Barknecht           ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______