Re: system instablity

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Ed Cogburn wrote:

> 	I realize this is a rare problem, because few if anyone is seeing it,
> but its clear to me that its not a hardware problem, even though I
> understand that you don't believe me, and you are not the only one to
> tell me its not Debian software thats causing the problem.
>
> 	It may be related to filesystem problems I had earlier, yet fsck says
> that now my filesystem is fine.  I even ran a grep on all of my
> filesystem files (except /proc & /dev) hoping to trigger an invalid
> and/or broken file with errors, but that didn't find anything wrong
> either.

Ed, check your CPU fan/heatsink. Make sure your fan is not slowing or
heatsink fins clogged with dust. You say you get the fault when using
dselect/apt ... does it also fault when compiling a kernel? Some things
are more CPU intensive than other and can result in the CPU getting hot.
This can result is really weird crashes. I usually start to notice it on
kernel builds when the heatsink fins start getting really packed with
dust. People that do not do a lot of kernel builds might notice the
problem later on a different program.

Also, if you have a computer such as a Gateway or AST that has only a CPU
heatsink and a fan located some distance away that blows air over it, make
sure that all covers are in place and all unused slots are covered. If air
can "leak" before getting to the heatsink, you can loose cooling
efficiency.

George Bonser

The Linux "We're never going out of business" sale at an FTP site near you!