Re: new LILO won't install a new boot sector ...

On Sun, 13 Dec 1998, Seth M. Landsman wrote:

> 	So I have a laptop that has been running slink since August.  I
> just downloaded the new lilo and tried to install a new kernel via lilo.
> I get the error message :
>
> [seth@windfall] sudo lilo
> First boot sector has a pre-21 LILO signature
>
> 	lilo -q does not show the new kernel has been installed.  In
> rebooting, the new kernel is in fact not installed.  Any one know if there
> is a way to update a lilo 20 boot record so that lilo 21 will install?
>
> 	Or do I have to bite the bullet and do an fdisk /mbr and boot from
> a disk?

Sorry no solution but another data point.

I also have a laptop with a dual boot configuration with NT and
Debian.  The Debian root is on partition /dev/hda5 which is a logical
partition.

lilo_20-0.1 works fine.  lilo_20-2 doesn't.  When lilo is run, no
errors are reported but when trying to boot, the LILO prompt appears
correctly but when the linux kernel is select it hangs after printing
that it is loading the kernel.

--
Jean Pierre