fetchmail + procmail setup

Well, since there seems to be a fair a number of people who can't figure this
out, I thought it might be helpful if I mailed my own setup. First of all read
the mail filtering FAQ (search yahoo for it). This describes more in detail
the system that I use. Anyway, this is how I do it.

In /etc/ppp/ip-up.d/ a have a script called 'mail' which looks as follows:
------
#!/bin/sh
fetchmail -d 180
------
Then in /root I have the following .fetchmailrc (it's very simple, as this is
a single user machine):
------
poll pop.prestel.co.uk with proto pop3
        user <username> there has password <password>
                is dave here
postconnect /usr/bin/runq
------
In my home dir I have the following .forward :
------
"|IFS=' ' && exec /usr/bin/procmail -f- || exit 75 #dave"
------
The /home/dave/.procmailrc looks like this:
------
VERBOSE=off
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail           # Change to whichever dir mail is to be put in
PMDIR=$HOME/.procmail
INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/rc.maillists # Add more recipe-files here if needed
------
In /home/dave/.procmail/rc.maillists
------
:0:
* ^TOOPENGL-GAMEDEV-L
IN.opengl

:0:
* ^TODebian-user
debian-user

:0:
* ^TODebian-devel
debian-devel

:0:
* ^TOdebian-private
debian-private

:0:
* ^TOdebian-mentor
debian-mentor

:0:
* ^TOdebian
debian-misc
------
These recipes are not very advanced, but they work for me. debian-misc is
simply any debian stuff which doesn't go anywhere else. All that is needed
after this is to point your mailreader to ~/mail/debian-user or whatever.

Disclaimer: it is fully possible that the way I've done it is a horrendous
security hole, and that the world will implode if somebody looks at the setup
in the wrong way. I don't know, and it's not my fault :)

Cheers
	Dave

--
         Dave Swegen           | Debian 2.0 on Linux i386 2.1.125
<dave@recursive.prestel.co.uk> |