Re: 4 button Logitech MouseMan and XFree86

On Fri, Dec 11, 1998 at 10:43:45PM -0500, Paul Miller wrote:
> I have a 4 button Logitech MouseMan (has a thumb button) and my buttons
> don't work correctly in X.  The thumb button seems to ack as the middle
> button and the middle button doesn't work at all.  Here's what my
> current XF86Config file looks like (just the pointer section):
[...]
> Anyone have one of these mice?  What can I do to fix my configuration?

This is exactly the model of mouse I have.

When I had it hooked up to the serial port, I used an XF86Config Pointer
section like this:

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "Auto"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   Buttons         4
EndSection

If your /dev/mouse is not a symlink to the appropriate COM port, either
make it or use the COM port instead (/dev/ttyS0 or /dev/ttyS1, usually).

Now I use it on the PS/2 port.

Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "IMPS/2"
   Device          "/dev/mouse"
   Buttons         4
EndSection

/dev/mouse is a symlink to /dev/psaux.

I don't have to mess with xmodmap at all.

If you have problems with above, ensure you have properly compiled your
kernel for generic serial device support or PS/2 mouse support.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   If God had intended for man to go about