PalmPilot going OpenSource?: off topic?

I know this is slightly off-topic, but, I just found an article and had a
look around Palms site and found this page:

http://www.palmpilot.com/devzone/rom3/srcavail.html

I followed some of the links and, basically, You can register on-line as a
developer, then fill out the Source code license and physically mail it to
Palm Computing. The License agreement is rather restrictive, 3COM only
agrees to release selected code, and the licensee is required to respect
3COM's ownership and copyrights etc, but this might be the start of more
open access to the Palm's OS. Have a look and see what you think.

Cheers,

     John Gay