Finger problem. :)

I am having a problem with the finger command on a system.  Whenever I
finger someone who is currently logged in, the finger information is
accurate and correct.  It show username, rela name, plan, and how long
they've been logged in and where from, etc.  All fine.
However, when I finger the same user when they are not logged in, it shows
all the information correctly except for the last login info.
It always says "never logged in" even if they were just on!  *blagh*

I was told that this was caused because the fingerd daemon wasn't writing
to a certain file correctly.  It's log file?  I dunno.
I've read the man pages for both finger and fingerd and I can't find any
info about a log file for this kind of info.
Does anyone know which file this is?
I am running Debian 2.0.

Thanks a lot!

Amanda Shuler		| I don't want to start any
shuleram@acm.msu.edu	| blasphemous rumours, but...