Re: Staroffice

MallarJ@aol.com wrote:

> I have a couple of quick questions for those of you using Star Office, and I
> couldn't find answers on their website:
>
> 1) I'm really only interested in pieces of the package, Star Writer, for
> example.  Do you have to install the full package or can you install just the
> parts you want?

You can install parts you want.

> 2) If you can just install what you need, can you also download just what you
> need?  Or do you have to get the full 70M and extract the good stuff?

You have to download the whole thing

> 3) Does it really require 32M of RAM?  What to you think about running it on
> my home box, a 486/75 with 24M of RAM?

I just started it on a simple Word document amd it took 45 sec to
load on my PPro200 128MB.

It used 39MB of RAM.  I figure it would be unbearably slow on a 486.

> 4) Does Star Writer handle Word Perfect (6.0a) documents?

Yes and no.  It handles simple stuff, but at the office I receive
complicated forms and memos and it something makes a mess of
them.  After I edit them they are screwed up in MS-Word.

I hope WordPerfect8 is better.
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada