RE: Debian very slow to get latest releases?

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> wrote:
> X is getting cleaned up and we are trying to freeze and release.  The
> new X
> comes at a bad time.  X takes quite some time to compile and debug.
> Hopefully
> it will be soon.
>
> Of course, you can always compile your own -- hope you have a beefy
> machine.

No thanks!! I do have a beefy machine, but still wouldn't relish the
prospect of compiling something like X!

The answers I got from my question have reassured me. Coming from a
RedHat background where the redhat ftp structure is much simpler (though
not necessarily better) I have found Debian very complicated from the
upgrading point of view. I install new packages with dpkg -i xxx.deb - I
used dselect just once on initial installation. I can't even beigin to
understand apt-get. I would *love* to see a simple X utility like xrpm
or glint which gives a GUI interface to rpm. I understand apt will
eventually fill this role, but it does seem a long time coming!

Take care.

--
Phillip Deackes
gsmh@gmx.net