Re: suid script

Helge Hafting <helge.hafting@daldata.no> writes:

> > problem: you can change the content of the file between the two !!
> > so you can have your script, running as root, executing whatever
> > you want !!
>
> So that's the problem with SUID scripts.  Seems to me it could be
> solved by *not* closing the script file, just keep it open.  Why
> can't that be done?

It has been done in some Unixes.  I've read about it in the Llama
book, 2nd edition, pg. 361.  They use /dev/fd/3 to pass the already
open script to the command interpreter.  According to this book "Most
modern releases of SysVr4 and BSD 4.4 use this approach ...".

> It can't be possible, or someone would surely have fixed it a long
> time ago?

I wonder if this is possible in Linux too?

	Torsten

--
Homepage: http://www.in-berlin.de/User/myrkr