Re: exim rewriting rules

Steve Lamb writes:

>> >Because you don't always use a MUA when you send mails. Take the bug
>> >package for example, which will help in sending a bug report. Without
>> >such a rewrite, it will send the bug, using a bogus from-address, and
>> >the maintainer can't contact the submitter for further info.
>
>> >This is why I also rewrite the from header with smail.
>
>    Then that is a bug with the software that is submitting the incorrect
>header to the MTA and should be fixed.

Actually, here's the story for me (again):
My mail address put into the headers of my outgoing mail are (without
rewriting): daniel@i203.ryd.student.liu.se
This is true in the sense that I have the username daniel on the
computer i203... But I fetch my mail from a POP3-server, since my
computer isn't turned on 24h a day. So, the mail address that I want
people to see is the one I have to my mail account on that server,
which is: danel698@student.liu.se
So, I use exim to do a rewrite on the 'from' and 'reply-to' fields of
outgoing mail sent by me. The problem is, like I've pointed out
before, that local mail isn't affected by this. I don't understand why
not!?