Thanks/X11

First I'd like to thank all those who helped me with the base
instillation!  I would now like to install X11 but when I am in dselect
and have highlighted xbase and then try to install I get a message:
dselect: unable to open/create access method lockfile: Permission
denied.  How do I get past this?  The file has the "*" beside it but it
hasn't been installed yet.

Also looking at the description of xbase in dselect it said that
xcontrib was a more complete package.  Does this mean I don't need xbase
and could start with xcontrib?
Thanks,
Kent