Re: fetchmail & daemon mode

On  9 Dec, Shao Zhang wrote:

> 	If I comment out the line "set daemon 300" in the file
> ~/.fetchmailrc. Then my fetchmail works fine...
>
> 	If I run fetchmail with the above line, then id doesn't work. The
> process just sits there and doing nothing...

are you sure that it's not doing anything in the background, every 5
minutes? you could try /usr/sbin/tcpdump (normally must be run as root)
to see if there are any packets going between your box and the
mailserver on the right port (e.g. "/usr/sbin/tcpdump host <client> and
host <server>", or "/usr/sbin/tcpdump port 143" [the IMAP port - look
in /etc/services for other port numbers]).

> 	Do I have to start fetchmail in a special place??

no. mine is in my crontab file, because I don't use daemon mode.

> 	If I put it in ip-up, do I have to use the fetchmailrc in the root
> directory?? If I use that, how does fetchmail know to put in my user
> account rather than root??

I would have thought you could specify which .rc file to use. looking
at the man page, I find that you can do;

  fetchmail -f /path/to/.fetchmailrc

As for where it will decide to put it, I'm not sure. A full reading of
the man page might be in order. You may be able to fix it by setting the
$LOGNAME or $USER environment variables in the script that calls
fetchmail, but that would be a bit of a fudge, and I wouldn't recommend
it.

hope that helps. I've not tried any of that though. read the man page
before you do!

--
Graham Ashton