wmmail problems

Is anyone else using wmmail with WindowMaker under slink? I'm having
problems getting the NewMailExecute configuration option to function
properly. In my ~/.wmmailrc file I have the following line:

NewMailExecute "cat /home/glhenni/lib/sounds/ugotmail.au > /dev/audio &"

This is straight out of the wmmail man page, but it's not
functioning. If I start wmmail on the command line it starts spewing
out what, at least at the beginning, is the sound file itself to the
screen. I can use "ps ax" to see that the command
"cat <file> > /dev/audio" is running, but it's outputting to the
screen instead of /dev/audio.

I managed to get it working with xanim via:

NewMailExecute "xanim +Ze +Av100 /home/glhenni/lib/sounds/ugotmail.au"

but I don't like xanim popping up on my screen every time I get new
mail.

TIA,
Gary