Re: First attempt

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, KTB wrote:

> followed the instructions in the book.  I select [New] and [Primary]
> then I can't change the size of the partion, it lets me make a 6149.89
> MB partion but then can't go on to make a swap partion.  The 6149.89 MB
> is my whole HD so maybe that is why I can't make another.  At any rate I

Anyway, you can choose [Delete] and delete your current partition, so you
have extra space. Just make sure you don't Delete any files on HD that you
might need later.

> #2.  While I'm at it.  I have a blank 6.4 gigabyte 2nd IDE HD that I am
> trying to install Debian on.  Most of the literature I have read talks
> about partioning in limited space.  I was thinking I could make the 1st
> partion (root) 1000 MB and the swap 100 MB, I have 64 MB Ram.  Does this
> sound reasonable?  Will that make the rest of the HD dead space?
> Thanks,
> Kent

No. What HOWTOs talk about is having the boot sector within first 504Mb of
the drive. That has nothing to do with you.
What you want to do is make
200Mb / (root) partition.
64Mb Swap
Allocate the rest as you wish.
You can make it /usr
For the reason of that vast majority of packages gets installed into
/usr partition.
So make it as big as you want.

HTH,
 Andrew
Never include a comment that will help | Andrew Ivanov
someone else understand your code.     | c680789@showme.missouri.edu
If they understand it, they don't      | ICQ: 12402354
need you.                              |